About Troop 86
Boy Scout Troop 86 has been in Stanwood, Washington for almost 40 years and, since 1978, has been sponsored by the Stanwood-Camano Kiwanis.
There are about 35 Scouts in the troop who are assigned to one of six patrols; Mustang, Cobra, Spartan, Dragon, Phoenix, and Eagle. Each patrol has a Patrol Leader and Assistant Patrol Leader.
Contact Troop 86:
Troop 86 – Stanwood, WA
Troop 86 offers a variety of activities and outings. Some of the things we like to do include:
- Both in and out-of-state Summer Camps (including Fire Mountain near Mount Vernon, WA, Camp Meriwether in Oregon, and Camp Easton on Lake Coeur d’Alene, ID)
- Monthly outings that include day hikes, backpacking, biking, and others.
- Service projects including Eagle Scout Service, service to local churches and non-profits, service to the Stanwood Food Bank, flag ceremonies, and others.
The Patrol Leaders’ Council (PLC) is made up of the senior patrol leader, who presides over meetings; the assistant senior patrol leader and all patrol leaders. The patrol leaders’ council plans the yearly troop program at the annual troop program planning conference. It then meets monthly to fine-tune the plans for the upcoming month.
Boy Scouts strives to be “boy-led.” The Patrol Leaders’ Council (PLC), not the adult leaders, is responsible for planning and conducting the troop’s activities. The Scoutmaster (and assistant Scoutmasters) provide direction, coaching, and training that empowers the boy with the skills he will need to lead his troop. The Troop Committee provides resources to help the PLC.
Parent support and participation is vital for any Boy Scout troop to thrive. We have several Assistant Scoutmasters who help out the Scoutmaster. Our Committee is led by the Committee Chair and there are about a dozen parents who serve on the Troop Committee.
Our committed adult Scout Leaders are here to serve our Scouts:
- Scoutmaster: Nick Foxen
- Assistant Scoutmasters: Chuck Alfieri, Jason Bartelheimer, Steve Ellis, Nick Foxen, Kurt Haunreiter, Steve Shanholtz, Rob Stach, & Shawn Souza
- Committee Chair: Gary Overturf
- Chartered Organization Representative: Erika Sigmon